Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Sugar, Surprises, and Soccer

Soccer season ended several weeks ago. To stay in "soccer shape" over the summer, I joined a two-week intense training camp at our local high school. Practicing with travel girls from the next city over has been exciting and tiring, but getting up every morning at 6:30 has been less than a blessing. Summer is for sleeping in!

But, summer is also for improving. Getting stronger. Healthier. Embracing the gorgeous weather. Basking in the sun (with sunscreen, of course!) Biking with friends. Getting ready for race season this fall. Being your best you. 

Before my soccer camp started, I was getting in at least four 2-mile runs a week. It was a nice way to stay fit after soccer season - along with weekly bike rides with friends through the local hiking trails, nightly dog walks, and workouts at the gym. I haven't been running too much this week because my feet are typically too sore and blistered to get in a good workout. But, the two soccer-filled hours of running, passing, dribbling, and shooting are enough to get me energized and feeling full of life in the morning.

My afternoons have been filled with friends, swimming, biking, cooking, and baking. After reading several articles on greatist.com and mindbodygreen.com, I have decided to challenge myself by cutting down on my added sugar consumption. While I still enjoy lots of fruits, I felt that added refined sugars weren't doing me any good. As I'm not fully ready to try a completely restrictive version of this challenge, I treat myself with a healthy portion of one food containing added sugars almost every day. I have been trying to eat protein-filled breakfasts to eliminate sugar cravings and fuel me up for the day's activities.

Most sweets I bake myself, so that I know exactly what high-quality, vegan, and nutritious ingredients are going into my body. I've been loving cooking dinner with fresh ingredients. Our peach tree, raspberry bush, and blueberry plant are already blossoming with ripe fruits! It's been such a treat to go out to the garden with friends afternoon and pick today's "harvest".

Friday night brought a whole new level of love, comfort, and joy into my life - we adopted a kitten! This is my first baby animal because all of our pets have been adopted as adults previously. She has been staying in my room for the past couple days as she is getting accustomed to living with us. I am forever grateful to her foster mom that got her used to people and living in a home. It just reminded me of the kittens I have fostered last year and the year before. Fostering saves and changes lives!

We searched all weekend for the perfect name. On Monday, my family and I decided on "Mango". She is an absolute doll. I fall asleep to her lying down next to me, her tiny paw clutching my hands. With the horrific tragedies happening throughout the world, little Mango has given me the ability to go to sleep peacefully without anxiety or fears. I feel safe when I fall asleep next to her and I'm able to get a good night's sleep without the attack of panic or nightmares that I have previously experienced. She has made me proud of becoming vegan, respecting all animal lives, and helping shelter pets. She has comforted me every second I get to be with her - even only after several days of knowing her. I can't wait to experience countless adventures with her as she calms me and comforts me through everything that might happen to me over the years.

I hope that summer has been treating you well with unbeatable memories, exciting experiences, healthy opportunities, and happiness! Wishing you wellness,
Lili

No comments:

Post a Comment