Saturday, April 30, 2016

Strength in Soccer

Recently, I have been finding myself noticing the strength that soccer gives me. 

Before a soccer game, when my body is sometimes filled with anxiety and nerves, I take a moment to focus on what I'm preparing to do. On my legs that work hard to carry me everyday. I focus on my heart that beats to keep to me living. I think of the plants that power my body to perform its very best. I think of the days and hours that I have spent, my body drenched in sweat, trying to condition myself for days like these.

I think of my team that I try to inspire. I think of my team that is depending on me to win. I think of my team beyond soccer. I think of my friends and my family and my dogs. I think of the farmed animals I am fighting to save. I think of the strays that I will foster. I think of the lives that I will save. I know that when I play a sport, when I go out for a run, when I lift weights, I am taking advantage of the gifts that veganism brings me. I am doing my best to keep me living my longest and healthiest life. I am doing my best to keep me strong so that I can be strong for others. So that I can be strong for those without a voice. So that I can be strong for those who can't. Soccer gives me a way to gift my body with strength, happiness, health, and power.

Soccer inspires me. Sometimes my head is filled with tragic pictures of the pigs, chickens, turkeys, fish, cows, ducks, and other helpless souls that will never get to know a life apart from cruelty. Sometimes my mind is filled with frustrations that the world will never learn that all beings are created equal. Sometimes my mind is filled with anger for those that refuse to understand the fight that I am fighting. Sometimes my mind is filled with despair when I feel alone in the world. Sometimes my mind is filled with stress from school and life in general. But, the second I step onto that field, I know that I have the power to turn any day around. I have the power to escape my worries and frustrations - just for 90 minutes, maybe. But, those 90 minutes are enough. They are enough to let me regain a sense of power. They are enough to tell me that I can make history. Those 90 minutes let me soar higher than I could otherwise. Those 90 minutes give me hope and freedom and a sense of opportunity. Because every soccer game is up to me. Whether I win or lose, I know that I am part of something bigger. My team. My league. My community. My city. My nation. A world full of soccer players. We all play for different reasons. We may not all be professionals, but we are all passionate. We are brought together by a love for the game unlike no other. But, if one sport has the power to bring together an entire planet, then that is a game that deserves to be celebrated. This is why soccer gives me strength. 

No comments:

Post a Comment